Friday, June 19, 2009

Funny Friday

I had the funniest Friday afternoon. I was really looking forward to my afternoon off and just relaxing, but little did I know how my afternoon would play out . . .

When I went to our company's corporate apartment around 1:00 PM to leave the keys for an employee who was arriving this weekend, I found a huge mess in the kitchen. The ice machine was leaking water and the freezer was practically a solid block of ice. No one had stayed there in about two weeks, so who knows how long the water from the ice machine had been dripping. The refrigerator part was full of water and the vegetable drawers were completely full of water. The refrigerator was sitting in a big puddle of water.

I got a knife out and started chipping away the ice in the freezer. I emptied the drawers of water in the sink. I got some towels and cleaned up the mess. I called the apartment emergency line and someone came right over to fix the problem. The repairman replaced the ice machine. However, he couldn’t test it to make sure the water wasn’t dripping because the water to the apartment complex was turned off for a water line break! Well, I couldn’t stay there all day, so I just told him to come back and check in a few hours. Hopefully, all will be good.

Any way . . .

Since my boss is out of town for the next couple of weeks, I had driven my boss' car over there to leave for the employee that was coming to visit. Since the company van was parked at the apartments, I was going to drive it back over to the office. Well, guess what? The battery was dead. Lucky for me, my co-worker, Aaron, came to my rescue. Aaron borrowed some battery cables and brought them over. The van started and I made it back to the office. I tried to start the van again after I parked, but it was dead again. SO . . . along with a new tire for the van and passenger side mirror, we need to buy a new battery before we sell it!!! Maybe we should pay someone to just take it off our hands! ;-) Stupid van. Taking care of the corporate cars is not my favorite thing.

I went back into the office to put the van key away and to thank Aaron. I told our receptionist what had happened, and we laughed about it. I told her that nothing else bad could possibly happen.

And then . . .

I went to Carl’s Jr. to get a Diet Coke. After all, I deserved it after solving those two problems. From Carl’s Jr to the 101, I was making a wide left turn onto Raintree into the right-hand lane and it was TOO wide. I hit the curb right by the Vangaard building. Dumb curb! Can you believe it? I got a flat tire. Lucky for me, a nice, but grungy man with a gold grill (which covered all his top front teeth) stopped to help me. I tried not to act too nervous because he WAS SERIOUSLY scary looking. I thanked him for his kindness and gave him $2 to buy a Coke (what could be better?). Besides, that all is all I had on me.

Things I’m thankful for:
  • The apartment's refrigerator is seriously clean. There is no way anyone can complain about it not being clean.
  • The apartment’s repairman said he would be there in 5 minutes and he was. Can you believe that?!?
  • It was not a hot day. Its June 19 and it is only 96 degrees today. What’s with that?!?
  • Aaron knew how to use jumper cables . . . I didn't.
  • The van made it to the office parking garage.
  • The nice, grungy man with the gold grill did not hit on me.
  • The nice, grungy man with the gold grill did not kill me.
  • I made it home without any more difficulty.
  • Tony didn't give me too hard of a time.
I now have four new tires. The two passenger-side tires were ruined: one was flat and unrepairable, and the other had a bulge and was unrepairable (which I didn't know about until I got home). Tony bought tire hazard insurance for me. What a nice husband! First time I ever do something like that and he thinks I'm going to do it again. Sheesh! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment