Saturday, July 17, 2010

May, June, July

Okay, Karen and Diana, this is for you!  haha

On May 2, we had our annual Heywood family Cinco de Mayo celebration.  The kids always look forward to this because of the pinata.  I look forward to it because of Sylvia's yummy enchiladas and tamales!  This pinata was pretty wimpy and it only took a few whacks before it exploded.  Grandma always puts such good stuff in the pinata.

Maddie, Taylor, Heather, Dana, Natalie, and Jeremy

On May 8, Heather went on an overnight trip with the girls in her church group to the Gila River Temple openhouse.  She thought the inside of the temple was beautiful.

Heather and Maddie are on the far right.

Our family is a fan of the Glee T.V. show.  In April, I learned that there would be a limited engagement Glee concert coming to the Dodge Theater in Phoenix May 15.  When tickets went on sale, I was in Costa Rica.  I logged on to TicketMaster right at 10:00 AM, but unfortunately, they were sold out immediately.  Bummer!  Well, a couple of days before the concert, Heather found out that somehow there were tickets available.  I called right away and sure enough, they had released some more tickets.  We got excellent seats in the center on the 17th row.  We were on the end of a row.  It was such a fun concert.

Heather showing off her new t-shirt

At one point in the concert, I happened to look behind us and I saw all of the Glee "guys" at the top of our aisle. I thought Heather was going to cry from excitement.  As soon as they started singing, "Don't Rain on My Parade," all the guys started coming down OUR aisle!  It was everything I could do to try to take this picture and hold Heather back.  In case you can't tell, that is Heather's arm and she is trying to jump out into the aisle and tackle Finn.  haha

Finn and Heather's arm

On May 18, Heather got her braces off.  She was so happy!  She really looks great.  Dr. Erskine did a great job . . .

Heather and Dr. Erskine

 . . . and right before the 8th Grade Promotion Dance a few days later.  We had a hard time finding a modest dress, but ended up finding a beautiful, strapless dress that Heather wore with a shrug.  She looked beautiful.  She had a lot of fun at the dance with her friends.


On Saturday, May 22, we had a graduation party for Heather.  It was fun having the family come over and enjoy the party platters from Someburros.

Grandpa Heywood just put somethng in his mouth.  haha

On May 26, our family attended Heather's Promotion Ceremony.  She was on the honor roll again.  I can't believe she will be a freshman at Corona del Sol High School in August. 


On May 28 - June 1, Heather and I went to Girls' Camp.  I was asked to help in the kitchen.  My niece, Savanna, was able to go and help in the kitchen too.  It was fun having her there.  I really had no idea what I had signed up for.  In case you were wondering, cooking for 175 people three meals a day is a LOT OF WORK!  Fortunately, I worked with a bunch of really fun and hard-working ladies.  Heather finished her third year and had a blast.  Our camp theme was superheros.  The kitchen crew was the PowerPuff Girls.  Heather's group was the Human Torch.

Heather, Savanna, and Maddie

I went back to Costa Rica June 16 - 28.  It was a fun business trip.  Heather was able to go up to Jackson Hole with Tim/Shana's family and the rest of the Heywoods June 18 - 27.  She had a blast with her cousins and being away from her mom and dad.  She really loves Jackson Hole.  Heather and Taylor flew home from Salt Lake to Phoenix . . . by themselves.  Their first time flying alone.  They thought it was a grand adventure. 

Hot Tubbing
Warm Springs

Heather . . . and the back of Grandpa

On June 30, our family and Taylor, flew to Maui for ten days.  We had a blast.  Heather had so much fun with Taylor being there.  Tony and I had so much fun having someone else along to entertain Heather!  haha  We did a lot of nothing.  Well, maybe not exactly nothing.  We spent every day at the beach swimming in the ocean, playing paddle ball, reading, paddling on the surfboards and enjoying the sun.  We were all in bed by 8:30 PM every night.  For Heather and Taylor, that is a miracle since they often pull all-nighters when they are together.  I needed a vacation to recover from my vacation.  I suffered from PMS last week -- Post Maui Syndrome.  I can't wait to go back.  I really enjoy spending time there.


This past week, Heather has been attending Cooking School with Maddie.  She has made a lot of really good food and has brought some yummy things home to share.  I hope she has learned a lot and will make our family some of this good stuff.  She has one rescheduled class this Tuesday and Channel 12 News is supposed to be there doing a story on her teacher. Heather is pretty excited about being on the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment