Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I'm happy as Christmas!

Christmas shopping is done.  Christmas baking is done.  Christmas parties are over.  Now I'm just enjoying the last couple of days before Christmas.  Enjoying the slow pace, goodies, friends, and family. 

Our work Christmas party was great.  It was a nice progressive dinner full of friends, laughter, music and fun.  Tony got lost getting there, but being the resoureful guy that he is, he went to the nearest Walmart, found the GPSs, and figured out how to get to the party that way.  Once of these days, I'm going to have to buy that boy a cell phone.  I was also able to go the community Messiah sing-a-long with my friend, Georganna.  I loved it! 

Heather had the great opportunity to play piano in church.  She played a wonderful arrangement of "Love at Home."  She was nervous as heck, but you wouldn't know it.  She did awesome!  She said her hands were shaking so bad and blamed any mistakes on the shakes.  I didn't hear any.  I am very proud of her and her having the courage to just "do it."

Because I gave all my tamales away that I made the day after Thanksgiving, I decided to make more . . . this time I promised myself that I would keep some for my family.  :-)  I started the Lord of the Rings trilogy and rolled and cooked tamales for most of the day.  They turned out yummy!  I plan to give some away to a lucky few for Christmas, but I already stashed my family's supply in the freezer to eat for the next few months.

Heather's Christmas piano recital was held on Saturday.  She played a music box version of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas."  It was fun because all three Hatch girls all played as well as her friend, Kiley.




Tony came down with some bug and has been coughing his lungs out since last Friday. We have quarantined him to our spare bedroom so he can keep his germs to himself.  So far, so good . . . Heather and I have not gotten sick.  I hope he gets well soon so we can ALL get some sleep. Poor guy. Santa's going to bring him some Nyquil for Christmas.

I hosted the Heywood Family Christmas Extravaganza this past Sunday.  We did all the traditional things:  we had a yummy chili dinner, the donkey left a book in the kids' shoes, and we had a dollar store gift exchange.  I lucked out and got the spray cheese and crackers; however, there must have been a mouse in the house because my super cool spray cheese vanished.  I'm sad . . . it was the best Christmas gift ever.  I'm thinking it was Riley since he left his chess game here (maybe thinking it was a good trade). Heather started out with some cute Christmas slippers and cashews, but then ended up with gumballs and a gumball machine.  She scored! 



The kids LOVE the Christmas donkey tradition.  They love putting their shoes outside . . . trying to peek out the window to catch a glimpse of the donkey . . . trying to see if the parents are really leaving the books . . . tearing open the door once the donkey arrival has been announced.  It is fun watching the paper and ribbons fly as the kids open their books, excited to see what book they received.  The Christmas donkey brought Heather a couple of books:  Christmas is Good and The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.




After the party, Taylor and Maddie stayed the night.  They had fun talking, giggling, and watching Harry Potter 6.  They loved "catching up" Maddie to Harry Potter and explaining everything.  The next morning, I took the girls to get Christmas pedicures.  Our friend Mariann joined us.  Heather got Christmas trees, Maddie got snowmen, Taylor got Christmas plaid, and I got candy canes.  We also went to lunch at Pei Wei's.






The girls had fun playing in the afternoon and then the slumber party continued at Taylor's house.  They had fun with even more cousins spending the night and then making movies the next day. 

I love this time of year and am already a little sad thinking that it will end in a few short days.  But I am still "happy as Christmas!"  Its a line from a non-Christmas song . . . you guess it and you win a chess game.

No comments:

Post a Comment