Sunday, September 27, 2009

Season Premiers

It was an exciting time for our family this week. The Dancing with the Stars, House, and The Office season started! Our family doesn't really watch that much T.V., but those are our favorite shows at this point in our lives.

Heather had an ortho appointment this week. She got pink rubberbands in honor of going to the Broadway musical Legally Blonde. She loved the movie and loved the characters, Elle and Bruiser. She was an awesome Elle last Halloween. Here's a picture of her and "Bruiser" last Halloween:

Her church group met on Wednesday and had standards night. She wasn't so thrilled about going, but much to her relief, they didn't talk about S-E-X, so it was better than she expected. Our church's youth program is so great and we have such excellent leaders. Heather is lucky.

We went to the mall on Friday night to go clothes shopping. Going to the mall is not my favorite thing, but Heather found some cute clothes (and skinny jeans). I need to remember that I need to take a tranquilizer before going shopping with Heather and that I CANNOT under ANY circumstances look at anything for myself. If I do those two things, then I won't end up in jail. LOL

On Saturday afternoon, we went to see the Broadway musical Legally Blonde at Gammage. We thought it was pretty entertaining, but it wasn't spectacular like Wicked or Phantom. There wasn't a "stand out" song that we just loved. We loved the dogs . . . they were so well trained. We would see it again. Heather's piano teacher was the pianist. She accompanies most Broadway musicals at Gammage. We are lucky to have her as a teacher. She is awesome.

After the play, we zoomed to Someburros to pick up take out. I zoomed home and I booted Heather and the food out of the car. Then I zoomed to the church to attend the General Relief Society broadcast that was played at the church. It was a great meeting that focused on the history and purpose of the Relief Society. I am so glad to be part of such an awesome women's organization. I am so glad that they are now known as "Relief Society Meetings" and not "Home, Family, and Personal Enrichment Meetings." :-) I hope I can do my part to encourage participation in this charitable organization. After the meeting, we gathered together and quilted around ten quilts to be sent to our church's Humanitarian Center. The quilts will then be distributed to the needy of the world.

We had a really great lesson in our Relief Society Meeting today. It was based on a talk by President Thomas S. Monson, the current president of our church. It was titled, "Be of Good Cheer." He said:

"It would be easy to become discouraged and cynical about the future—or even fearful of what might come—if we allowed ourselves to dwell only on that which is wrong in the world and in our lives. Today, however, I’d like us to turn our thoughts and our attitudes away from the troubles around us and to focus instead on our blessings as members of the Church. The Apostle Paul declared, 'God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.'"

"None of us makes it through this life without problems and challenges—and sometimes tragedies and misfortunes. After all, in large part we are here to learn and grow from such events in our lives. We know that there are times when we will suffer, when we will grieve, and when we will be saddened. However, we are told, 'Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.'"

"How might we have joy in our lives, despite all that we may face? Again from the scriptures: 'Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you.'"

"Though the storm clouds may gather, though the rains may pour down upon us, our knowledge of the gospel and our love of our Heavenly Father and of our Savior will comfort and sustain us and bring joy to our hearts as we walk uprightly and keep the commandments. There will be nothing in this world that can defeat us."

So, fear not. Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment