Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Its 2017, and its been a while . . .

Happy New Year!  I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.  Mine was a good mix of crazy busy and lazy.  I sure love the month of December.  And, then OH MY GOODNESS!  I can’t believe another year has passed.  It’s a new year and, once more, change is in the air.  There’s always that pressure to change or make new resolutions.  We all know the scenario all too well. Haha!  Christmas ends and January begins and we are all thinking about how this year will be different. Then, after a few weeks, we fizzle.  Our good intentions don’t quite work out as we hoped. 

I used to get worked up about making New Year’s resolutions, but a few years back I read a quote from Dieter F. Uchtdorf that really simplified things for me. 

“When we are young, it seems that we will live forever. We think there is a limitless supply of sunrises waiting just beyond the horizon, and the future looks to us like an unbroken road stretching endlessly before us.”

“However, the older we get, the more we tend to look back and marvel at how short that road really is. We wonder how the years could have passed so quickly. And we begin to think about the choices we made and the things we have done. In the process, we remember many sweet moments that give warmth to our souls and joy to our hearts. But we also remember the regrets—the things we wish we could go back and change.”

“One day we will take that unavoidable step and cross from this mortal sphere into the next estate. One day we will look back at our lives and wonder if we could have been better, made better decisions, or used our time more wisely.To avoid some of the deepest regrets of life, it would be wise to make some resolutions today. Therefore, let us:
                                    • Resolve to spend more time with those we love.
                                    • Resolve to strive more earnestly to become the person God wants us to be.
                                    • Resolve to find happiness, regardless of our circumstances.”
             
I love the focus and the simplicity.  If you would like to ready the complete talk, go here. 

I wish you much peace, happiness and blessings this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment