Monday, October 19, 2009

Hot Chocolate and Washington, DC

Sunday: We left Phoenix at 9:00 AM and arrived around 4:30 PM. I was anxious to get on the road while it was still light outside. We had rented a car and I didn't want to be lost in the dark. I had taken our GPS, but wanted to make sure we arrived at our destination before dark. When we got to our rental car, I thought it would be fun to take a picture. It was then I realized that I had forgotten to pack my camera battery/charger. I was sick. How can you possibly have a good vacation without pictures documenting everything?!? My camera is new and takes such great pictures. I called Tony to get advice. SO, I didn't listen to him and drove directly to the BestBuy by the airport. I decided buying a new battery/charger was not an option because of cost. SO, I took Tony's advice and asked Vicki if I could borrow her camera. Since she is such a great host and friend, she loaned me her camera and it took GREAT pictures. Disaster averted! I could document this trip for posterity!

I wasn't so much fun for a bit because of the stress of driving in the dark and forgetting the camera battery and Heather told me so. :-) So, I decided that food and a Diet Coke would solve all problems. After BestBuy, Heather and I went to McDs for dinner. We both felt much better. It was getting dark, but my GPS was working and things were somewhat familiar.


When we arrived at the Formans, I thought I had arrived at a five-star hotel. They had rennovated their basement and we had the whole thing to ourselves. We had our own bedroom and bathroom. There were snacks and bottled water. If we wanted, there was an indoor gym. Since the gym Nazi (Tony) wasn't there, I didn't touch it. :-) They had waited for us for dinner, but we had already eaten. So, we went to McDs again and they ate while I had pumkin pie/icecream and Heather had hot chocolate. That was the first of many hot chocolates for Heather.

Monday: Two years ago, the National Museum of American History was closed for rennovations. So we jumped on the Metro and that is where we headed first. We were able to meet up with our friends, with Hatches. In the picture below, they were standing next to Muhammad Ali.
We wandered around for a while looking at things, then we decided to go to the International Spy Museum. We ate popcorn and lemonade on the way. Heather and Annie provided us with entertainment.
We had a great time at the International Spy Museum. I think the best part for the girls was trying to be sneaky and spy on people from the air vents. I think the best part for Kristin and I was when the girls got out of the air vents. They sounded like a herd of elepants. I don't think they would make such great spies. I bought Heather Nancy Drew Mad Libs . . . she loves Nancy Drew and she loves Mad Libs.

I had written down an old phone number for the Yates and hadn't been able to reach them. SO, I decided that what they needed was a surprise! We drove over to the Yates house hoping they would be home. Boy, were they surprised! But before we got there, since Heather and I were starving, we stopped at McDs on the way and grabbed a hot chocolate. We had a nice, but short visit with the Yates. It was fun catching up and seeing how big their kids were getting. We made tentative plans to see each other again and left. We went back to the Forman's and had Jerry's Pizza . . . the BEST pizza ever. They need a Jerry's here . . . cheap, but good.

Tuesday: In the five years I lived in the DC area, I had never been to the Ford's Theatre (where Lincoln was assassinated). So, that is where we headed first. I was impressed. They have a nice museum in the basement. There was a two-man act that relived some of the history from that night (they played multiple parts). It was really well done. After the play, we went across the street to the house where Lincoln died. It was morbid and fascinating at the same time.Then, because it was so close and Heather was dying to go, we went to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. I thought it would be really cheesy (and it was), but it was really fun! Here's Heather with Carrie Underwood.

I didn't think there was a decent Mexican food restaurant in the DC area, but they did have a Qdoba and that is where we stopped for lunch (not great, but good enough). We went back to the National Museum of Natural History. We didn't plan it, but we ran into the Hatches there and walked around with them for a while. Here's a picture with Heather, Annie, and a Fennec Fox.
We parted ways with the Hatches and went back to the National Museum of American History to go shopping. We bought Tony a toy spaceshuttle, space shuttle suckers, Mad Libs for Presidents (yes, we must have more Mad Libs).

Because it was Tuesday, October 11, that meant The Proposal DVD was available to buy. I had made a deal with Heather and I promised to buy it the day it came out. We made a stop at BestBuy on our way home to make the purchase. We went to Lake Forest Mall for dinner to have Panda Express.

Wednesday: We started the day going to the White House. When we got there, there was a big white tent set up in front. So instead of the White House, we saw the white tent. :-(

Since we didn't get enough of it, we went BACK to the National Museum of Natural History. AND since we didn't buy it Tuesday, but wanted it, we bought the Einstein bobblehead that was featured in the Night at the Museum 2 movie ("that's 3.14159265"). Heather also wanted "pizza the size of your head," at the cafeteria, so we ate there. Then, we went to the National Archives. Heather bought invisible ink pens because they are very useful (so she says). The weather turned on us . . . it got rainy and cold. On our way home, we stopped at McDs to get hot chocolate to warm up. The Formans, Heather and I met the Yates family at Cheeburger Cheeburger. We had a great time visiting, eating burgers and onion rings, and milkshakes. Not enough time visiting. :-(

Thursday: We went to the National Air & Space Museum. This is Tony's favorite museum. The whole time there, I kept saying, "Tony would love this." We saw Journey to the Stars in the Einstein Planitarium. Of course, we had to buy Astronaut Ice Cream. AND since we couldn't get enough McDonalds, we ate there for for lunch (and had a hot chocolate). And since we were so tired, but we love the National Gallery of Art store, we skipped walking around the Gallery, but went straight to shopping. Heather bought a Tibaud bookmark and I bought a pretty necklace. It was nice to get back to the Forman's and get warm and eat yummy lasagna. Still rainy and cold. Friday: The Formans took the day off to spend with us. We went to the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum. This museum is located by Dulles Airport. Tony would have loved this place. We saw the Forces of Nature at the Imax, went on a shuttle & space walk ride simulator and had a great time looking at all the really cool airplanes and space stuff. We bought Tony a hat.

Since it was on the way, and since Scott and Vicki are deprived of decent Mexican food, we stopped to eat at On the Boarder for dinner (probably the best Mexican food in DC). We then went to the Museum of Crime & Punishment. It was a really interesting museum. We could have spent a lot more time there, but we had a schedule to keep! ;-)
Next, we went on a walking Ghost Tour in Georgetown. Because it was STILL rainy and cold, we stopped at Starbucks to get some hot chocolate to warm us up. It was a cheesy tour and the guide was a little weird, but it was SO much fun. We had a lot of laughs and didn't mind being cold and wet. You can't see them, but behind Heather, Scott, and Vicki are the stairs that were filmed in the movie, "The Exorcist." They are close to Georgetown University. We got home late, said our goodbyes to the Formans, and Heather and I went downstairs to pack.
Saturday: I was afraid of not waking up in time, so I didn't sleep Friday night. We left the Formans at 4:00 AM because our departure was at 7:00 AM. That was PLENTY of time. We could have left at 4:45 AM. It was still freezing and rainy and the drive to BWI was a little nerve-wracking . . . especially since I had not slept. Our flight went without a hitch and we arrived a little early. We were happy to see Tony and get warm. It was 101 degrees when we arrived. We LOVED our DC vacation and the time we spent with our friends. Tony loved his bobblehead Einstein, toy space shuttle, and hat, and hopes to be able to go with us next time.

Scott and Vicki: We had such a great time with you and are so appreciative of your hospitality. Thank you SO much for being the "hostesses with the mostesses."

No comments:

Post a Comment